Looking Stead is situated within the quieter Northwest Lakes, between Loweswater and Crummock Water.
Post Code: CA13 0RS Telephone 01900 85147
- Leave the M6 at Junction 40, A66 for Penrith/Workington/Keswick.
- Turn left onto the A66, signposted Workington/Keswick.
- Stay on the A66, past Keswick and Portinscale, for about 3 miles.
- Take the B5292 (left) signposted Lorton, Braithwaite and Whinlatter Pass. Stay on this road for 4-5 miles, keeping to the right fork for Lorton rather than left to Newlands Valley.
- Proceed over Whinlatter Pass, past the visitor centre on your right.
- Continue along this road towards Lorton, (DO NOT TURN OFF AT THE GATED ROAD OR UNSUITABLE FOR MOTOR VEHICLES SIGNS, which some sat navs suggest). Turn left at the T-junction for Buttermere.
- At the next junction turn left again signposted Buttermere and Loweswater.
- Proceed through Lorton, bearing right and passing the local shop and school on the left.
- At the next junction turn left for Loweswater and Buttermere.
- After about 2-3 miles the road to Buttermere bears off to the left. Keep with the main road to the right signed Loweswater (DO NOT take the left turn to Buttermere).
- After Scale Hill, descend the hill, go over the river bridge, past the Loweswater sign and turn right at the small, SECOND Thackthwaite sign (the first one says Thackthwaite 1\2 mile), about 150 yards further on.
- Looking Stead is the driveway after Crummockwater Cottages/Foulsyke on the left signposted Looking Stead/The Coach House.